Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Author Interview

A big thank you to Kelly Matherly for the author interview.  Click here to view it from www.readinhouston.blogspot.com and learn more about Kelly as well, or click here to learn more about Kelly's new book Heads Will Roll.

Author Alicia Rivoli
Genre Young Adult, Science Fiction & Fantasy
Latest Published Mere Enchantment
Currently Working On Book #2 in the Enchantment Series
Hometown Small town in Southern Idaho
Current Residence Northwest Arkansas
Married Yes
Children Yes


 
Quick Bio:


Alicia Rivoli is the author of the Enchantment Series. She is a stay at home mom, and currently resides in beautiful Northwest Arkansas with her husband and two sons. She enjoys reading, writing, spending time with her family, and traveling.


Questions:
(Me) - What is your favorite part of Mere Enchantment? Your favorite part(s) to write?
(AR) - That is a tough question, I have such a strong connection with all my characters that it's hard for me to narrow it down to my "favorite" part. I guess I would say that I loved writing the first chapter. It was actually the very last thing I wrote, and it made my connection with Mere and Nebula even stronger. I also really enjoy the part where I introduce the mermaids. I have always enjoyed stories with mermaids, so including them in the story was a simple decision for me.

(Me) - Did the idea for this book come to you in a dream (like many famed writers before you) or were you just thinking as you were slipping into sleep?(AR) - Actually it was a story keeping me awake. I couldn't fall asleep because the story kept replaying over and over again in my mind. It was hard for me to wait until the next morning to start writing, but when you have a young child, sleep is very important. :-)

(Me) - You are working on a 2nd book to Mere Enchantment (the Enchantment Series) do you have a name for this book?
(AR) - I do have a name that I am playing with, but I'm unsure if it will stay so I can't share it with you just yet.

(Me) - I know this is a self-published book, and you attempted to get a publisher. If you could go back in time, would you do anything different regarding the publishing of this book?
(AR) - I did submit to several different publishers, and after years of trying and getting so many different rejections, I don't think I would have done it differently. Self publishing gave my husband a chance to really get involved. It became not only my project, but our project and I think it brought us closer together. However, if a publishing company wanted to pick up my book, and help me with the rest of the series, I wouldn't tell them no. ;-)

(Me) - After the Enchantment series, do you have any plans for a new series?
(AR) - I do have an adult fiction book that I've written down idea's for, but we will just have to see what happens. I love writing fantasy, as my mind seems to never leave it, it may be hard to stray from it.


(Me) - What do you do to keep yourself motivated to write?
(AR) - I read. My ideas always come from my love of reading. Most of the time I get my best ideas while I am reading someone else's masterpiece.

(Me) - Do you enjoy reading young adult?
(AR) - Yes, it is one of my favorite things to read. I am a big Twilight fan, as a lot of people are, but I also loved The Inheritance Cycle, and many other books that are targeted toward young adults.

(Me) - Did you always want to write, or did it just hit you one day?
(AR) - No, growing up I had a lot of ideas of what I wanted to do with my life but writing was never on that list. I wanted to be a National Geographic photographer, a singer, a chef, a musical conductor, and I'm sure many others. I didn't discover my love of writing until after I was married.

(Me) - What is the weirdest thing a fan has asked or said to you?
(AR) - With Mere Enchantment being my first published work, having someone ask for my autograph is the weirdest thing. It feels so strange when someone asks me to sign a copy of the book, I don't feel like I am worthy enough to have someone ask me that. :-)

(Me) - If you were stranded on a desert-island and could only take one book, what would it be?
(AR) - That's is a good question, if I had to choose one, and it couldn't be my own, I would take Pride and Prejudice. There is just something about the language of the book that makes me happy. I relate so well to Elizabeth, she reminds me of myself, except I don't have the awesome English accent.



You can find more information about me and Mere Enchantment on my author blog www.aliciarivoli.blogspot.com, you will also find links on my blog to where the book can be purchased, and an excerpt for your enjoyment. Also I love getting feedback from my readers and look forward to answering questions, so please let me know what you think about Mere Enchantment.
-Alicia

0 comments:

Post a Comment